Adrenaline junkie

"It seems that I have caught a disease that has no cure. There is a name for those inflicted, Adrenaline Junkies."(1)  Athletics, motorcycles, parties, long hours, it's all part of the search for adrenaline. It's a need that can't be satisfied. It's what allures people to activities such as skydiving or even sex. It's an addiction as strong as any other drug and any junkie is left wondering "what is going to give me my next fix?"(2)

"I want to PLAY! I want to scale mountains, surf the maverick, kiteboard Hood River, fastpack the Pacific Crest Trail, run a R2R2R2R in the Grand Canyon. I want to try boxing, learn to be an aerialist, hang glide, go caving in South America, take a Parkour class. I crave adventure. I am in constant awe of what our bodies are capable of doing and discouraged by the static repetition we sometimes keep in ourselves that hold us back from taking risks and challenging ourselves to be BETTER. And so, I am in a constant search for adventure. New, exciting endeavors that push me out of my comfort zone and teach me something along the way. This world is my playground. I believe I am capable of anything. This blog is about my adventures (and misadventures) and the things I learn from them. About myself, my fears, my goals, my body...and all the people and places in between." (3)

Definition:
Adrenaline junkie is a colloquial term used to describe someone who is addicted to thrilling and fear-inducing situations. The act of conquering fear creates a rush of endorphins that is simultaneously energizing and relaxing. This natural high leads adrenaline junkies to seek out ever-bigger thrills and excitement.
Some adrenaline junkies place themselves into dangerous situations. Others prefer to know that they are physically safe, but pit themselves against obstacles that make them feel unsafe. Halloween events and roller coasters particularly appeal to adrenaline junkies. (4)

Are you an adernaline junkie?

Comments

Popular Posts