I am an Athlete.

"Being your best is not so much about overcoming the barriers other people place in front of you as it is about overcoming the barriers we place in front of ourselves. It has nothing to do with how many times you win or lose. It has no relation to where you finish in a race or whether you break world records. But it does have everything to do with having the vision to dream, the courage to recover from adversity and the determination never to be shifted from your goals." Kieren Perkins

"While I'm swimming, I sing songs in my mind." 
Alexandr Popov

"There is water in every lane, so it is OK." 
Ian Thorpe (on being in Lane 5 for a final).

In training everyone focuses on 90% physical and 10% mental, but in the races its 90% mental because there's very little that separates us physically at the elite level
- Elka Graham [AUS]

Powerlifting is 90% mental, the other half is physical.—Yogi Berra

If a man wants something he aint never had before, he has do something he never done before.

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
--a Cinderella story

It's not about getting a scholarship, getting drafted, or making Sports Center. It's a deep need in us that comes from the heart. We need to practice, play, to lift, to hustle, to sweat, to compete. We do it all for our teammates. We don't lift weights with a future Olympic wrestler; we lift with a future doctor. We don't run with a future Wimbledon champion; we run with a future CEO. It's a bigger part of us than our friends and family can understand. Sometimes we play for 200,000 fans, sometimes for 25. But we still play hard. You cheer for us because you know us. You know more than just our names. Like all of you, we are still students first. We don't sign autographs for money. But we do sign college applications, SAT exams, and student body petitions. When we miss a kick, or strike out, we don't let down an entire state. We only let down our teammates, coaches, and fans. But the hurt in our hearts is the same. We train hard. Lift, throw, run, kick, shoot, dribble, swim, and lift some more, and in the morning we go to class. Still the next day in class we are nothing more than students. It's about pride; in ourselves, in our school. It's about our love and passion for the game. And when it's all over; when we walk off that court or field for the last time, our hearts crumble. Those tears are real. But deep down inside, we are very proud of ourselves. We will forever be what few can call ourselves.. high school athletes.

Show me a guy whos afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time. 
-Lou Brock 



Dont look back. Something might be gaining on you. 
-Satchel Paige 



If at first you dont succeed, you are running about average. 
-M.H. Alderson 



When someone tells me the is only one way to do things, it always lights a fire under my butt. My instant reaction is, I'm gonna prove you wrong. 
-Picabo Street 



When you're riding, only the race in which you're riding is important. 
-Bill Shoemaker

Your opponent, in the end, is never really the player on the other side of the net, or the swimmer in the next lane, or the team on the other side of the field, or even the bar you must high-jump. Your opponent is yourself, your negative internal voices, your level of determination. 
--Grace Lichtenstein American Writer & Editor

Men forget everything; women remember everything. That's why men need instant replays in sports. They've already forgotten what happened. 
--Rita Rudner

If you can't accept losing, you can't win. 
--Vince Lombardi

Sports Do Not Build Character...They Reveal It 
--John Wooden

All right Mister, let me tell you what winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, give more than anyone else. 
--Vince Lombardi

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. 
--Mahatma Gandhi

The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur. 
--Vince Lombardi (1913-1970) US football coach

I was told over and over again that I would never be successful, that I was not going to be competitive and the technique was simply not going to work. All I could do was shrug and say 'We'll just have to see'. 
--Dick Fosbury won an Olympic gold medal at the 1968 Mexico City Games after he invented a revolutionary high-jump technique.

To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other. 
--Jack Handy Deep Thoughts

The sports page records people's accomplishments; The front page nothing but their failures. 
--Jutice Earl Warren

One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team. 
--Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, NBA Center

We won! We won! We won! Um, unfortunately, I bet on the other team, so we won't be going for pizza. 
--Chief Clancy Wiggum (The Simpsons)

and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.
Roger Bannister (After becoming the first person to break the four-minute mile, 1952)

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
Muhammad Ali, American Boxer

My thoughts before a big race are usually pretty simple. I tell myself: Get out of the blocks, run your race, stay relaxed. If you run your race, you'll win... channel your energy. Focus.
Carl Lewis

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Shaquille O'Neal

Whoever said, 'It's not whether you win or lose that counts,' probably lost.
Martina Navratilova, American Tennis Player

Champions keep playing until they get it right.
Billie Jean King

When I go out on the ice, I just think about my skating. I forget it is a competition.
Katarina Witt

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.
Michael Jordan

I can tell you one thing. I've done this my way. I don't have anybody to blame for this win but me [and god], and I love it.
John Daly, American Golfer with my own instert.

For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream.
Emmitt Smith, American Football Player

It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course.
Hank Aaron, American Baseball Player

When you lose a couple of times, it makes you realize how difficult it is to win.If you can react the same way to winning and losing, that's a big accomplishment... quality is important because it stays with you the rest of your life, and there's going to be a life after tennis that's a lot longer than your tennis life.
Chris Evert Lloyd

Comments

Popular Posts